Creating personalized photography requires that we understand your personalities, your preferences, your hobbies, and your relationship. To help us get to know you, we need you to create a “Mood Board.”
So what is a Mood Board?
A mood board is simply an idea or inspiration board on which couples display their favorite images. Couples add images to their mood board to visually communicate aspects of their style preferences.
For example, you might love the angle or composition, a specific pose, the type of lighting, the style of post-production or any other component of the photograph you highlight. Your board allows us to get on the same page regarding your preferences and your style.
Mood Board vs Shot List
A mood board is NOT a “shot list.” A “shot list” is a detailed list of must-have shots for the photographer to follow and check off throughout the session. This type of checklist is discouraged, as it inhibits a photographer’s creativity and focuses his or her attention on duplicating and recreating, rather than innovating and originating.
How to Create a Mood Board for Photography
- Create a Pinterest account (or sign into your existing account)
- Create a public board titled “Engagement” (Be sure to leave it as public)
- Go to the Northern Lights Studio gallery
- Browse through the images and pin 10-20 images you like with a few simple words on what you like about the image (IE. I love the color, their wardrobe, the location, the emotion, etc.)
- Add in a few more images that you like from around the web (along with descriptive captions)
- Once complete, send the mood board URL to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reviewing the mood board will be one of the primary things we do during your engagement planning consultation
Characteristics of an Ideal Mood Board
- It does not have too many images (15 – 20 is just right)
- It is NOT a shot List
- It has a description of why you chose each image.
Please give a call with any questions – we are happy to help!
Please watch this brief video on creating a mood board
About Northern Lights Studio
Hi! We’re Bill & Stephanie, New England wedding photographers based in Northern NH. We love photographing weddings because of our passion for helping couples remember one of the most important days of their lives. Northern Lights offers engagement photography, wedding photography, and bridal sessions throughout New England. As wedding photographers, we believe in the value of printing images – so much so that all of our wedding packages include a beautiful signature wedding album.
Did you know that Northern Lights Studio also offers family, maternity, newborn and high school senior photographs through our sister company Stephanie Dupuis Photography?